Reposting this crazy Maker 2020 Highlights Twitter thread here (keep in mind this was intended for those who haven’t been following Maker closely)
Resilience is the word of the year.
Always super impressed by the initiative and drive by this community. Wrapping up all the MakerDAO community activity from this year was tough, but get ready for an epic thread of 2020 highlights & what’s coming up for 2021:
Stats at a Glance
- 1 Billion Dai
- 55 Governance & Risk Calls, 44 Community Calls | Recorded Videos
- Forum Activity was
- 37.8K User Visits (+582% yoy)
- 12K New Posts (+800%)
- 1.2K New Topics Created (+498%)
- Awarded $430,470 to 20 Grants
- @brianmcmichael Tweet thread overview of key technical developments
- Peg Stability Module: first completely developed, led, audited, and executed by community (no Foundation interaction at all)
- Maker Auction UI to easily track and participate in auctions
- Beta Program for Vault Tracker API
- “Keg” Development to distribute surplus payouts
- MIP15: Dark Spell Mechanism, a process for applying critical bug fixes to the Maker Protocol.
- 19 Collateral Onboarded! Details of current collateral
- 78!! MIP6 (Collateral) Applications
- Domain team members launched Prioritization Sheet and amended onboarding process, Collateral Onboarding handbook
- Community launched Collateral Onboarding Calls
- Transfer of MKR Token Control to Governance
- Maker Improvement Proposals launched- only 8 months ago!
- 33 Proposed MIPs (20 Accepted), 44 Sub Proposals
- Updated Voting Portal (comments on votes )
- Working group implemented Sourcecred trial
- Smart Contracts
- Operational Support * new *
While we said goodbye to a few people, MakerDAO welcomed 8 new Domain Facilitators & Contributors, bringing it up to 21 active domain team members (not including casual contributors)
Influx of Notable Community Working Groups
- Real World Assets working group have been off to the races! Aimed to speed up implementation and insights on RWAs. RWA 2020 Wrap-up & RWA-2021 Video
- Rates Setting: Group takes high-level governance directives (ie “set the stability fees on stablecoins to 0%”), risk premiums and competitive rates to produce a set of stability fees for each vault type.
- Autonomous MakerDAO: focused on medium-term initiatives that further develop MakerDAO as an autonomous organization.
Resources & Communications
- Relaunched Community Development Portal: A community-generated resource to learn about all things MakerDAO and grow the community through programs, grants, meetups and other opportunities to contribute. (100% community built - design, content, dev, PM, illustrations by community members)
- 26 Maker Relays summarizing weekly governance activity (now also available in Spanish!)
Other Fun Community Contributions
- 36 Community Development Initiative Proposals submitted by 24 unique contributors
- NFT Badges for on-chain governance participation displaying on our Forum
- 641 PRs and 328 Issues closed by community contributors (mostly non-devs) in our community github repo
For more 2020 round ups, check out Foundation MakerDAO Year in Review
What’s coming up in 2021!
A lot gets done in a year, so keeping this short w/ governance discussed activity for Q1 & Q2 2021:
- Onboarding of first Real World Asset collateral
- More diverse, quality collateral
- MIP Portal to easily view and track MIPs
- More domains & Domain Facilitators (3 pending subproposals for Jan. 2021)
- Liquidations 2.0
- MIP26 - DSSGov Governance Contract Redesign
- MIP30 - Farmable cUSDC Adapter
- MIP25 - Flash Mint Module
- Other MIPs
Other Interesting Community Led Discussions:
- Nexus Mutual Protocol Cover
- Improving communication within and outside the DAO. A community team’s proposal
- Strategic Reserves Fund
- Increasing attention to DAO org development. Current discussion around compensation, aligning vision, objectives, etc. As @ElProgreso said: “It is time for our community to focus on the recent subject that many have been thinking & talking about—full responsibility & ownership of the DAO & how the community will run the DAO while maintaining network effects, core team talent & continuous growth.”
- Poll signaling spending system surplus for domain teams.
Rounding out w/ some useful tools
- 19 tools that may be useful for community members participating in governance (5 more coming in 2021)
- Twitter bot for Dai activity: @MakerDaiBot
- Governance Updates (Community run): @mkrgov
You made it!
See you in the new year