G&R #163 Snippet
snippet includes Governance, MIPs, forum updates, and Core Unit team discussions from the MakerDAO Governance and Risk Call #163.
- October 8th: Offboarding Vaults, MKR Vesting, and Core Unit Budget Distribution - Passed & Executed
- There will NOT be an executive proposal up for vote tomorrow.
- Only one polled item ready for action
- Much of the Exec team traveling to Lisbon
- 4 Weekly Polls Passed
- Add stETH (Lido Staked ETH) as a new Vault Type
- Nexo Institutional Vault Onboarding
- Add the Aave Direct Deposit DAI Module (D3M)
- Increase the GUNIV3DAIUSDC1-A Debt Ceiling
- 1 Weekly Poll was Rejected
- PaperImperium Supplemental Compensation
- 6 Ratification Polls ongoing (end October 25)
- 1 Greenlight Polls active (voting ends Mon. Oct. 18th)
Weekly MIPs Update #57
- The Ratification Polls for October’s Governance Cycle will be running until Monday, October 25th.
Forum at a Glance
Forum at a Glance: October 7th - October 14th
Dai Par - PSM Parameters
RWF, PECU and Risk
Signal Request: Set PSM Fees to 0
- SebVentures: The idea is to put at a peg where 1 DAI is always equal to 1 USD.
- Most people still want to use USD as their unit of currency, which we should accept and allow to create this fixed peg.
- We are currently making users pay for the benefit of using DAI, which is not nice.
- This should be fine and is not a technical issue from the PECU side.
- A conversation in this should be market participants moving to and treating DAI as Par.
- While this is helpful for Maker, it introduces risk to other protocols.
- PECU has spent a lot of time trying to reduce USDC exposure. This signal completely shifts that direction.
- There are many open-ended implications from setting the in/out to 0%.
- The band is very tight; maybe we can set it a little higher.
- Is it worth fixing such a potentially detrimental issue when we can try to utilize it as a benefit instead?
- In terms of the Clean Money initiative, we can convert the USDC into ESG bonds that are liquid enough to invest in Clean Money projects.
- Avoiding this or showing the public that we are not trying to show this is bad for MakerDAO PR.
- USDC may undergo regulatory risk, which can create collateral damage to Maker.
- We can externalize the risks here by using LP pools. However, there may be a small fee involved when converting to USD.
Governance Security and Flexibility: ESM + Delay parameters
Rune, Protocol Engineering, and Risk
Restarted poll [Signal Request] Raise the ESM threshold to 15% and increase the Governance Delay to 4 days
- Emergency Shutdown Module is a game theory mechanism that exists as a minority threat protection.
- Used if a majority of MKR holders vote for something without popular consensus.
- Used during a malicious governance attack.
- 150,000 MKR seems like a large number considering how much MKR is being used now in governance.
- We do have an unknowable threshold considering empty or lost MKR.
- If we set the ESM threshold too high, we lose the ability to trigger ES quickly enough.
- LongForWisdom believes that 150,000 MKR may be a bit too high.
- There is potential for a profitable financial incentive to put MKR into ES if shorting MKR.
- Or DAI can be bought at a discount below Par.
- A very, very significant amount of capital would be required to complete and ES successfully.
- Requires buying, borrowing, and accumulation of ETH.
- Governance decisions should use MKR required to be in a wallet over a certain period of time.
- Governance Security Module delay gives more time to governance for solutions before pressing the ‘Nuke’ button of the ES.
- Response time to critical issues is usually within 24 hours.
- a 2-day GSM is good enough already, if not too long.
- A 4-day GSM should still allow for a weekly governance cycle.
- We can propose a 3-day GSM to meet the middle-ground with everyone’s opinions.
- However, during a significant event like a market crash, 4 days is way too long.
- We should analyze and report some risks for the GSM comparing various days.