@juan will be doing the hosting :smiley:

Dial-in Details

Zoom call
Passcode: COREUNIT

Alternatively, use this:

Meeting ID: 829 4277 3725
Passcode: COREUNIT
One tap mobile
+13017158592,82942773725#,*46651499# US (Washington DC)
+13126266799,82942773725#,*46651499# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 829 4277 3725
Passcode: 46651499
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdYmK1Gv2D

Attn : @MarianoDP , @ElProgreso , @g_dip , @tadeo , @amyjung , @iammeeoh , @Gustav_Arentoft, @Jenn , @Matthew_Cooper , @Doo

6 Likes

Video is out, in case you missed it.

1 Like

Core Unit Tools #01: Gnosis Safe

March 1st, 2021

Agenda

• 00:00: Intro with Juan Guillén

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehZ-3JbBZk

Introduction

Juan Guillén

Agenda and Preamble

00:00

• Welcome to Core Unit Tools #01, the first session, where we’ll try to help Core Units set up different tools that might be useful for their managment.
  • The first one we chose was Gnosis Safe. We believe that a multisig can play a crucial role in multiple Core Units, and it’s interesting to know how to do it properly.
  • I’m with John Ennis from the Gnosis Safe Ecosystem Development, and he will briefly go through what Gnosis is, what a multisig is, what the use cases are, and how to actually use it.
  • For other episodes of Core Unit Tools, please check the forum.

Presentation

John Ennis from Gnosis Safe

01:03

05:44 - Juan Guillén: Is it a best practice to have one less than the total or two less…?

07:17 - Juan Guillén: The grants were being run by the Maker Foundation, and now we are migrating that towards the DAO, so for sure this is one of the use cases where we’ll be seeing it. And the other one is – most of the viewers probably know this, but Governance is using that to manage the budgets that it has received from the DAO to assign that to the different invoices or expenses

14:01 - Juan Guillén: Regarding the wallets, is Gnosis Safe a wallet…? I don’t want to say “like Metamask”, but is it a wallet on its own or can you use it for multisigs?

14:54 - Juan Guillén: Would anyone potentially use the Gnosis Safe without the multisig, just to access their smart contracts and whatnot?

15:47 - Payton Rose: One of the considerations we’ve been talking about with multisigs within Maker is that in the future we might want to use them for certain permission actions, like putting a group in charge of changing rates or something down the line where we say “Ok, we’re gonna trust this group” and delegate it off. Would the same type of Gnosis Safe be of use or would you need to set up a separate one for permissioned actions?

19:22 - Juan Guillén: Could you have a Gnosis Safe without connecting something like Metamask? Could you have your seed directly input into Gnosis Safe?

25:37 - Juan Guillén: When you create the safe originally, you have to sign and pay the ether to set up that smart contract. And then what we would see here is whatever the smart contract is holding, which would be zero after creation

29:37 - Juan Guillén: When I’m a co-signer, I see the nonce go up and I’m not paying any gas. Someone told me “That’s because the nonce on your wallet, it’s the nonce on the smart contract of the safe”. Buy how does that happen from a technical point of view?

30:51 - Juan Guillén: Who pays the gas when initiating a transaction? Maybe the last one to sign or the last signature required?

35:44 - Tim Black: The custom apps are all reliant on a URL, right?

36:01 - Frank Cruz: Do you still have to give permission to the app to spend your Dai, USDC, whatever?

41:58 - Juan Guillén: Do you need a multisig to change this settings?

42:39 - Juan Guillén: If you had a couple of people working with you and you assign them a budget, you could say “Ok, this is the spending limit that you have for the next month” – it could be your salary or if you need to pay invoices and then you can just free them up. Right?

43:22 - Juan Guillén: I don’t know if you can set daily limits or “You can spend up to 1K per day”…

45:01 - Juan Guillén: Every time one of these settings is changed, you need to pay gas, right?

45:20 - Juan Guillén: Are you guys planning on going to an L2 at some point?

46:47 - Payton Rose: Are there any sort of best practices around number of signers? We obviously like n-1, for instance, but when writing our latest multi-sig MIP I didn’t want to be too restrictive, so I said at least two-thirds of the signers. No idea if that was a good recommendation or not

49:52 - Frank Cruz: If you have five individuals participating in the multisig, you said you could send out a text message, so in the case of an emergency —say we need some action taken—, how would that work if one of the multisig individuals is in Tulum, México, having himself a margarita and is not responding to the text messages?

51:51 - Frank Cruz: How do you keep that data safe if people give up their phone number? It’s optional, right? You can choose to just be contacted by e-mail or Telegram…

Closing Comment

Juan Guillén

Outro

Credits

• @blimpa produced this summary.
  • Everyone who spoke and presented on the call, listed in the headers.
2 Likes

Hey does anybody remember if Juan G. spoke about “SafeSnap” for DAOs? I was just reading about it–and can’t remember if he did. Bad memory, or perhaps I got distracted. Super interesting, but I believe it will only work for SnapShot–not sure if we’ll ever use such… https://blog.gnosis.pm/introducing-safesnap-the-first-in-a-decentralized-governance-tool-suite-for-the-gnosis-safe-ea67eb95c34f

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.