GovAlpha Weekly Update - 2021-07-01

Highlights

• Adjusting Executive and Polling processes to make them more decentralized. Big thanks to dUX, @Derek from Protocol Engineering and @dumitru from tech-ops.
  • Initial Delegation templates + work put together. Prospective delegates now working on position statements. Will be starting ‘meet your delegate’ type meetings next week or the week after.
  • New version of MIPs Portal pushed to production soon, Pablo and dSpot are responsible, thanks both for the good work. Updates should bring more polish + layout upgrades, bug-fixes, and improved server infrastructure.

External Governance Stuff

Process Updates

• Adjusting Executive process to be more decentralized and improving the efficiency of the polling process. Big thanks to dUX, @Derek from Protocol Engineering and @dumitru from tech-ops.

Delegates

• Delegation launch timeline is becoming more firm. More details soon.
  • @LongForWisdom - Initial Delegation templates + work put together. Prospective delegates now working on position statements. Will be starting ‘meet your delegate’ type meetings next week or the week after.

MIPs Portal

• New version of MIPs Portal pushed to production soon, Pablo and dSpot are responsible, thanks both for the good work. Updates should bring more polish, bug-fixes, and improved server infrastructure.
  • Pablo working on better MIP Proposal Documentation.

Forum

• @Elihu has been finalizing some minor category updates and forum changes that should go live early next week.

Other External Stuff

Internal GovAlpha Stuff

Onboarding

• @LongForWisdom continuing to run onboarding meetings for prospective contributors.
  • @AstronautThis starting work on some better signal process documentation in collaboration with @ultraschuppi
  • @Sebix working on polls + critical review of existing MIPs.
  • @mkrorbkr working on some module documentation for the flash-mint module (which hopefully won’t be wasted, because it’s sure to pass eventually, right?!)

Transparency

• Upcoming Quarterly Review for GovAlpha’s first quarter of operation nearly done - hopefully posted next week.

Weekly Assignments

9 Likes

Thank you for the update :slight_smile:

Would love to know more about that!

Sure. So to be honest I was maybe less precise than I should have been here (which comes from writing this like 20mins before the G&R call.) I’ll explain what’s been done. I’ve also updated the initial post.

Executive Process
So the main change here is that the frontend now takes it’s content directly from github. Previously, Maker Foundation members had to ‘whitelist’ any executive that went up on the voting portal. Now it reads from github.

What this means is that the Governance Facilitators can control what shows up on the portal directly, now, rather than relying on people working for the Maker Foundation to rubber stamp each executive.

Polls Process
So this is where that precision issue comes in, because while the polls process has been improved, it’s not really any more decentralized at this point.

The improvements here are related to how the Governance Facilitators submit polls on-chain. Previously there was an input form to fill in on the voting portal where you would enter poll options, start and end time, etc. Now we have a system where all that is read + validated directly from github when we provide a URL.

This seems fairly unexciting, but it’s going to make submitting polls like 5x faster, and that’s a weekly task that I normally need to do on Sunday night. So needless to say, I’m excited about it.

On another note, Payton has been whitelisted to put up polls on the frontend now as well. So one could argue that that has made the process slightly more decentralized.

Also of note is that these improvements are thanks to the dUX (incubating) core unit - I’m only really reporting it here because it’s related to governance and they don’t have a weekly update slot in the meeting at this point.

3 Likes