Governance at a glance

The one stop shop for finding out what’s being discussed by governance right now.
Links reflect my view of the most noteworthy activity in the governance, risk and oracles categories right now. Disagree? Think something should be added? Leave a reply or a pm. Updated 02/04/20

Three Point Summary
‘What do I need to know as an MKR Holder this week?’

• Things are slowly returning to normal in the aftermath of Black Thursday, although there are still outstanding issues to resolve regarding Vault Holder compensation.
  • FLOP auctions have now finished. The Maker Protocol has been fully recapitalised.
  • At time of writing, Dai has been hovering around $1.02, and Sai has been hovering around $1.02.

Active Discussions
‘What’s going on? You think what?! You’re 100% wrong, and here’s why…’

Announcement: Kickstarting the Self-Sustaining MakerDAO Initiative - *New* Blog post from @charlesstlouis describing some of the future changes coming soon to the Maker Protocol.

On-chain vault compensation poll, draft - *New* @Joshua_Pritikin has been drafting an on-chain vault compensation poll that we can use to move forward on the compensation issue.

Governance Initiative: DeFi Consortium on Emergency Shutdown Criterion *New* @Rich_Cuellar-Lopez describes his plans to put together a defi consortium to help to understand and work on preparedness in the case of emergency shutdown.

Suggestions for updating the Signaling Guidlines - @Mitote presents a list of suggestions for updating the signalling guidelines to be slightly more strict given the best practices that have developed since we started using them.

Seeking Consensus
‘Yo, do you even signal?’

Signal Thread: Do we compensate vault holders that were completely liquidated? - @Joshua_Pritikin begins the first signal thread on compensating Vault holders who have been liquidated over the last week or so.

Signal Thread: SCD Shutdown - @Aaron_Bartsch asks when we should shutdown SCD given the market risks.

Ongoing Initiatives
‘Oh my god, this is taking ages, why can’t things be simple?’

Governance Initiatives - An index that aims to list ongoing governance initiatives.

The Official Welcome Thread - A welcome and introductions thread. Not strictly speaking governance, but if anyone new or old wants to introduce themselves, now is your chance!

Forum Navigation Index - An index that aims to make navigation and browsing easier around the forum.

Governance Initiative: DeFi Consortium on Emergency Shutdown Criterion - The group is intended to be open to members from other DeFi project communities to gather diverse opinions on the technical execution, and larger community risk mitigation plans surrounding MCD Emergency Shutdown (ES).

Help Wanted
‘Oh %#$?, we need a doodad, and we need it now.’

I believe most of these have been taken at this point. Watch this space for more in the coming weeks!

16 Likes
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, August 15 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, November 7 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, September 26 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
Discourse and Notifications
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk w/ Special Guests Fluidity.io - Thursday, September 19 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, September 12 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, August 29 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
Why aren't MKR Holders voting?
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, August 22 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, August 8 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
July's Community Mentions of the Month!
Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, August 1 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, July 25 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
Maker ガバナンスコール#45の8個の重要な点:2019年7月25日
Need More Explanation on Vote Proposals
Participation in Maker governance
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, February 13 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, February 6 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, January 23 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, January 16 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, January 9 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, December 19 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, December 12 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, November 28 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, November 21 9AM PST (5:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, October 31 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, October 24 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, October 17 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)
[Agenda/Discussion] Scientific Governance and Risk - Thursday, October 3 9AM PST (4:00 PM UTC)

I’m planning on updating this at least once a week going forward. Is this useful? What else would you like to see? Any feedback is welcome.

I’d like to have a section headed Ongoing Initiatives which calls attention to the governance or risk related projects that are actively being worked on. If you are working on something governance/risk related and have a moment to spare, write up a summary post of what you are doing, and I’ll link to it here. This goes equally for the Foundation, can we get a very brief post describing each governance/risk related thing that is currently happening (as much as can be shared?) The planned governance dashboard comes to mind as one example.

5 Likes

Love this idea, maybe once it becomes a habit we can call it out in the Governance call and in the socials.

There is a Community and Governance portal being worked on right now that houses ‘canonical’ docs and information about ongoing initiatives. It might be expanded to include Risk as well.

I’m thinking about setting up some subcategories in the Community section for projects that require comment and another for ‘bounties’. The Governance Dashboard is a good example, it’s been difficult to find a team willing to take the on the project.

Later: As an experiment, I’ve just created a help-wanted tag and posted a RFP for a Governance Dashboard.

3 Likes

Had a brief look at the community and governance portal, looks great. I’ll have some reading to do.

I’ll add a ‘Help Wanted’ section to this whole summary thing, including anything governance or risk related.
Edit: Added.

Updated 10/07/19 with ongoing initiatives.

Updated 15/07/19 with a recent signal poll. Friendly reminder to everyone that we’re still looking for volunteers to help with collateral due-diligence!

I just registered twitter.com/mkrgov, maybe we can use it to put more focus on these items also.
(other good suggestions also welcome of course)

Updated with this weeks intrigues. @kwadrex create a new topic about the twitter account? Sounds there are a couple of things we could do there. Happy to add a link to it from here.

@LongForWisdom I’m just seeing this now due to typo in my name :slight_smile:
I’ll create a new thread for it.

Hah, my bad @kwadrax, sorry!

Edited for the new week, not too many changes. Everyone start some more interesting conversations!

Updated for this week, I’m going to start adding ‘new’ tags to new stuff that comes in each week. Let me know if there are any other things you’d like to see or changes I should think about making.

1 Like

Updated: a little later than I planned but discussion has been light this last week. Would it be beneficial to sticky this? (Currently I have to post each time I update it to move it back to the top of the forum)

@rich.brown can we do sticky posts on discourse?

It’s set up to pin topics that are unread by default. Once a user scrolls to the bottom of the thread it becomes unpinned. Someone would have to test the implications of changing the setting site wide.

Users can also change it in their own settings in Interface -> Other: [x] Automatically unpin topics when I reach the bottom.

EDIT: I just pinned this topic in the Governance category.

2 Likes

This is a great summary!!!

2 Likes

Updated ahead of the weekly governance and risk meeting. Glad you found this summary useful, mario. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Updated as usual. :slight_smile:

2 Likes