Governance-Focused Documentation

As part of GovAlpha’s quarterly goals, we want to produce a comprehensive and well-maintained documentation source for participants in Maker Governance. The overall goals are as follows:

• Provide an index of relevant pages that can explain parameters as they are modified in signal requests and votes.
  • Help governance participants understand how to intentionally govern the Maker Protocol. Intentionally meaning knowing how to achieve desired goals with the tools and levers available.
  • Provide durable access to information regarding how Maker Governance has dealt with various environments and situations in the past, such that it can inform future decision-making.
  • Provide information on how the Maker Protocol works at a detailed (but non-technical) level.

With this in mind, are there any resources that you (as a participant in Maker Governance) wish were present in this documentation source?

So far we’re certain we want the following:

• A comprehensive index of governance parameters with plain-English descriptions and considerations to take when considering changes.
  • A comprehensive index of in-use protocol modules with plain-English descriptions and explanations of how they operate, who can operate them, etc.
  • Instructions on how to audit executive spells.
  • Instructions on how to verify poll and executive hashes.
  • Links and descriptions of the commonly relied-upon frontend UI’s that show the status of the protocol.

Past that, things are still a little up in the air. So, what would you like to see as part of these resources beyond the above?

13 Likes

Would it be possible for you and @prose11 to create the simplest and easiest comprehensible a.k.a, ELI5 explanation of how the Governance Calendar works? Submission datelines, cycles, etc., I mean like the easiest diagram, or a workflow chart (TOL). Like today, Nik was ask when the Oracles CU MIP-39 App will go to a Governance Vote, and I got the idea he was like baffle with what date it can be submitted (I would be too TBH) :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Regarding protocol status, it would be nice to include a link to a front end showing protocol payments to Core Units (or any other entity paid by the protocol).

2 Likes

I believe you can see the relevant addresses for the core units here. At the least, you’ll see the CUs’ receipt of total funds, and I presume you can follow them to individual team members if you’re interested.

2 Likes

I’ve added this to the opportunity register that SES is working on. I think there’s a lot of tooling around Core Unit administration, transparency and reporting that would be very useful for the DAO.

1 Like

This exists in a limited form here: MIP RFC and Formal Submission Dates. The ELI5 explanation is that MIPs are formally submitted from the first Monday of the month, to the following Wednesday. We could definitely add a page with the same information on the site.

Yeah, if we don’t show that directly, we can at least link to other frontends that are tracking that information.

2 Likes

That’s right now I remember that write-up by @blimpa – interesting enough, Pablo wrote:
“An example is worth more than a thousand words”

hence, I truly believe a Flowchart would work–it does not have to include exact dates ( perhaps a 30-day period/window). This “Workflow” can include from Inception to the moment an Executive Vote is Executed–and Rejections.

We do have some visual aids within the MIPs: MIPs Portal

But yes, perhaps we can make some better ones.

I thought we had improved this one with the MIP0 Amendments.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.