Introducing the CU Budget Transparency Map

Greetings from SES

Today our core unit shares diagrams created from each core unit’s MIP40, and have gathered them in a collection we’re calling the MIP Map. This tool gives an easy overview of the different budget structures existing in the current and upcoming Core Units at the DAO. The map is accessible to anyone.

The intended purpose is to create an interactive tool to explore all budgets structures used in the DAO. Anyone who is interested about CU budgets will find it easier to compare, contrast, and explore transactions by engaging with this tool. The long term goal is to produce these diagrams automatically based on the contents of the budget MIPs. This version was created manually as a first step.

The MIP Map can be accessed at this link:

What does the diagram show?

SES MIP Budget Diagram

You can see:

Important MIP Dates
Payment flow from the DAO to the Core Unit itself
Accounting & audit structure
MultiSig addresses and its owners
Amount of Dai flowing
Clickable links that direct to the sources of the presented information

Reasonings behind this map

To increase the transparency and accessibility of budgets, this tool gathes a multitude of links from all relevant websites, and presents them in a consistent manner for exploration. Being able to quickly get an overview of these budget structures is helpful to anyone, new or experienced with Maker. The overall path forward for budget transparency is:

1. Document the models that are being used today by the various core units.
  2. Synthesize the common elements that are reused throughout these different configurations.
  3. Identify best practices and recommendations for core units to improve transparency and accountability.
  4. Work with governance for standardization of the situation on the ground.
  5. Automate the entire process so that the reporting as well as the audit checks easily scale up to more core units.

As a starting point to this process, the MIP Map will serve as a living document that is updated each governance cycle.

Next steps

As always, we welcome the community’s feedback, thoughts, and improvement suggestions on the tool and next steps.

Continue with the synthesis of common elements and best practices as outlined in the previous paragraph.

@SES-Core-Unit

23 Likes

This is awesome! Great to visualize this stuff.

It does look like a bit of a maintenance headache though, but maybe I’m overthinking it.

Can we make a magic app that generates them automatically? :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you

Soon^TM we’ll work on creating some structure that will help in automating this.

The hard work has been done in creating the map, maintaining it will be a breeze.

1 Like

These are so neat thank you for putting them together! I think having a visualization of how different units have set up there budgets will be a great help to Core Units present and future.

I did take a look at GovAlpha’s and I noticed the Expiry Date should be year 2022. I was also wondering about the Wallet Signers portion signified when it says “1:2” Signers? Our multisig is a 2 of 2 with Long and myself, as can be seen here:
https://gnosis-safe.io/app/eth:0x01D26f8c5cC009868A4BF66E268c17B057fF7A73/settings/policies

1 Like

Hey @Petru_Catana, regarding reporting: we present a monthly PnL (in our updates) and also share our monthly transactions with @Aes

1 Like

Updated. Thank you

1 Like

Updated. Thank you. Would it be possible to share the sheet link where all monthly statements can easily be found?

@Petru_Catana Thanks SO much for putting this together. It’s really helpful in may ways.

One small comment…I’m not sure where the 197,955 Dai Top Up Limit came from between the CES Auditor and Operational Wallets. I mean, I’m not opposed to it…I just didn’t specify the limit and want to make sure the diagram is accurate. Maybe you got this from the earlier MIP40 proposal? Here is the one that was ratified, MIP40c3-SP30: Modify Core Unit Budget - Collateral Engineering Services (CES-001)

Thanks!

1 Like