Hi everyone, thanks for checking out Maker Relay! Whether you hold MKR or DAI, own a vault, or want to get more involved in governance, this is your one-stop-shop for MakerDAO updates.
FLAP Auction Adjustment and RWA-02 (NS-DROP) Debt Ceiling Increase
If this proposal passes:
- The Bid Duration (
ttl) for FLAP auctions will decrease from 60 minutes to 30 minutes.
- The Debt Ceiling for RWA-02 (NS-DROP) will increase from 5 million DAI to 20 million DAI.
|Poll Name||Vote||Discussion||More Information|
|Ratification Poll for Strategic Marcomms Core Unit||Vote||Adding Strategic Marcomms CU||Add Strategic Marcomms CU Budget, Facilitator Onboarding, Strategic Marcomms CU|
|Ratification Poll for Growth Core Unit Budget, GRO-001||Vote||Discussion||N/A|
|Ratification Poll for Collateral Engineering Services, CES-001||Vote||Adding Collateral Engineering Services CU||Modify CES CU Budget, Facilitator Onboarding, CES CU|
|Ratification Poll for Special Purpose Fund (MIP55)||Vote||Discussion||N/A|
|Ratification Poll for Dispute Resolution (MIP52)||Vote||Discussion||N/A|
|Ratification Poll for Governance Communications Core Unit, COM-001||Vote||Adding Governance Communications CU||Modify GovComm CU Budget, Facilitator Onboarding, GovComm CU|
|Ratification Poll for Modifying the Content Production Core Unit Budget, MKT-001||Vote||Discussion||N/A|
|Ratification Poll for Adding AmaZix Marketing Core Unit||Vote||Adding AmaZix Marketing CU||Adding AmaZix Marketing CU Budget, Facilitator Onboarding, AmaZix Marketing CU|
|G-UNIv3-DAIUSDC (Gelato UniswapV3 DAI-USDC LP Token)||Ends 08/02 16:00 UTC||Application|
|U-DROP (Untangled Finance DROP)||Ends 08/02 16:00 UTC||Application|
Check out an 'at-a-glance view of the current Vault types and their parameters on MakerBurn
Rates Changes, July Core Unit Budgets, and PSM DC-IAM
Passed on Jul 16, 2021, 17:13 UTC.
Executed on Jul 18, 2021, 17:14 UTC
Because this executive proposal passed, the following changes have occurred:
Instant Access Module:
The Debt Ceiling Instant Access Module for the PSM-USDC-A vault type will be activated with the following parameters:
- Maximum Debt Ceiling (line) = 10 billion DAI.
- Target Available Debt (gap) = 1 billion DAI.
- Ceiling Increase Cooldown (ttl) = 24 hours.
Core Unit Budget Distributions - July:
|Core Unit||Distribution Amount|
|Growth (GRO-001)||126,117 DAI|
|Content Production (MKT-001)||44,375 DAI|
|GovAlpha (GOV-001)||273,334 DAI|
|Real World Finance (RWF-001)||155,000 DAI|
|Risk (RISK-001)||182,000 DAI|
|Protocol Engineering (PE-001)||510,000 DAI|
|Oracles (ORA-001)||419,677 DAI|
|Oracles (ORA-001) - Continuity Reserve||800,000 DAI|
Stability Fee Decreases:
|Vault Type||Current Rate||Proposed Rate||Change|
- @LongForWisdom posted a formal introduction to Delegation and MakerDAO.
- @LongForWisdom posted the requirements to become a Recognized Delegate. In addition, there is the Token Holder Agreement and Recognized Code of Conduct.
- @prose11 posted a Governance perspective regarding the urgent executive - FLAP Auction Adjustment and RWA-02 (NS-DROP) Debt Ceiling Increase - July 17, 2021 to replace the regular July 16th Executive Proposal.
- The very first Meet Your Delegate call will be happening on Wednesday, July 28 at 6 PM UTC!
- Continuing to work on delegation; launch date is August 2nd.
- Payton posted a SourceCred on-chain technical design.
- Published the Staked ETH Technical Evaluation.
- Centrifuge DROP tokens - working to deploy to Kovan first.
- Mainnet deployment is ready for next week.
Sushi LP tokens
- Miscommunication with the Sushi team. The pairs we are interested in are not being moved to MasterChefV2 for at least a few months. So we are going to deploy soon with the current version of MasterChef.
- We’ve therefore updated exchange-callees, ran extra tests, and are making updates to DssCropJoin.
- Official announcement of the DAI-Optimism-Bridge.
denycontracts ensuring that the bridge is fully decentralized.
- Next milestones are Arbitrum, Optimism fast withdrawals, and publishing our L2 Risk framework.
- DssCharter initial implementation: allows administrating a per-vault DC and origination fee.
- Also wrote a new managed-gem-join to support updated join/exit functions.
- Next steps: Risk/Growth/PR discussions.
- No objection to Goerli.
- Thanks to Schuppi we have 20k goETH.
This Week: EthCC
- Sam, Derek, Bartek, and Kris will be there!
- A variety of meetings are planned with StarkWare, Nexo, and others.
- Migration of oracle feeds to the new LibP2P architecture is ongoing. The rollout is slow because this is a big change. Everything looks good so far. Will be fully transitioned within 2 weeks.
- Scrutinizing the Dai Fast Withdrawal Bridge. Reviewing and evaluating the trust assumptions and incentives associated with the bridge and how they relate to our Oracle assumptions.
- L2 oracles are a huge business opportunity. We are asking teams if they would be interested in using Maker Oracles there.
- Published Collateral onboarding Oracle assessment for MATIC. Will push back on the executive vote until the week of August 6th.
- Still waiting for the current Executive to pass so that the Oracles Core Unit can receive its initial funding.
- Published the D3M Risk Assessment. Please, read the report, test the module, and provide feedback.
- Began focusing more on other stuff in our backlog, such as simulations for lowering LRs.
- Ongoing work towards proposal around institutional Vaults.
- Updated budget from @aes is not public on the Forum yet. If onboarding all proposed CU and assuming constant revenues, we will be making a loss but staying cash flow positive.
- Progress on Real SPV, a model based on Moloch.
- Meeting on the NewSilver audit today. Giving us a good battle plan to improve and bring securitization of RWA in DeFi at scale.
- Started on a MIP to formalize the relationship with independent directors of the cayman foundation.
- Having meetings to speak about plans to offboard Vaults of tokens from various projects such as Brave, Loopring, and Decentraland. Waiting to speak with the 0x team. We are willing to consider other things besides profit, such as valuable PR.
- In conversation with large institutions regarding using institutional Vaults with Maker.
- @MarianoDP wrote about the PSM delay update we got from Paxos.
- @MarianoDP posted potential ideas for future products to grow the Maker protocol.
- We want access to Paxos APIs by creating a partnership with them.
- @Nadia Wrote a post about future products or partnerships that we can create through the Maker protocol.
- @j0sh Wrote a post explaining details regarding a solution for Thorchain and other multichain ecosystem networks.
- Will be at the EthCC in Paris: Gustav speaking on RWA, and Nadia will be speaking about her experience in the foundation and creating the Growth Core Unit.
- Content Production Bi-Weekly Update: June 25 - July 7th, 2021.
- Mascot art contest is live through July 31!
- Gained access to makerdao.world!
- Kat Obermeyer is attending EthCC Paris to represent the Content Production Core Unit!
- Performed brand research on the top 25 tokens to gauge Maker’s standing in the social sphere properly.
- Published Dai on Different Chain #2.
AMA Last Friday, July 16 with @Davidutro about the Governance Communication CU.
- AMA Next Friday with @monkey.irish about the Collateral Engineering Services CU.
- Working to publish OKRs. It will be ready within the next few weeks.
- Will be at EthCC Paris. We will be presenting Project X-Ray.
- SES Core Unit is in RFC. Please provide feedback.
- Incubees: We have a Core Unit focused on liquidation & auction UIs & services starting up. Nikoli will be giving an update on this next Friday.
- Podcast with DAOhaus called HausParty now live on Twitter.
- B.Protocol Declaration of Intent call coming November 8th, 2021.
The changes make MakerDAO’s rate more competitive with platforms like Aave and Compound. Rate changes for each collateral type can be seen in the “Voting” section above or on the vote itself.
The MakerDAO community converges in Paris this week for Ethereum Community Conference 4 (ECC). The conference lasts from July 20-22, but community members will be hosting and attending events throughout the week.
Join the MakerDAO community for Keeping up with the Maker Mafia a free event at Ground Control, Wednesday, July 21.
GovAlpha has announced that vote delegation will be soft-launching on August 2nd. Delegation reduces the cost of governance and improves efficiency by allowing individuals to delegate their MKR tokens to delegates.
MakerDAO’s delegation system includes Recognized and Shadow Delegates. Recognized Delegates agree to share limited amounts of information about themselves, while Shadow Delegates can participate anonymously.
An error was discovered in the July 16th Executive Proposal and reported to the community on July 17th by community member @spin, who made a post in the #governance-and-risk chat citing the concerns.
Namely, that there was an element missing in the code necessary for MIP21 to allow the Asset Originator (in this case, New Silver) to utilize the increased Debt Ceiling. Within the next 10 hours, this omission in the executive was confirmed, and we deployed a new executive. For more details, read Payton Rose’s write-up.
This month four Core Units have formally submitted their proposals and are currently up for a vote. Each has received unique results so far.
- COM-001 has a 99% positive vote but currently falls ~600 MKR short of the 10,000 positive participation requirement.
- CPM-001 has a very split vote with ~7,500 for and ~10,000 against.
- CES-001 also has a split vote, with ~1,200 for and ~16,500 against.
- AMZX-001 received ~17,700 no votes with only ~43 MKR on yes.
The Federal Reserve, in tandem with the National Bureau of Economic Research, released a paper detailing their current view on stablecoins. In a recent thread, regulatory action was cited as one of the Maker’s primary risk factors. Similar conversations have popped up on r/MakerDao. Since the paper’s release, the discussion has become more focused, and can be followed here or via RocketChat.
- Formal Submissions are complete, and we are in the second week of Ratification Polls; go Vote!
- DAI peg holding to a tight band this last week.
- Supply is still hovering around 5 and a half billion, with 8.7 billion TVL.
- Volume in the top five markets (thanks nomics). DEX’s still lead the pack with Uniswap DAI/ETH at 306 million this past week and curve at ~271 million.
- Sushiswap ETH/DAI 7 day volume at 110 million.
- Compound is still the secondary lender of choice for DAI.
- PSM USDC 3.1 billion
- ETH-A 1.37 billion
- USDC-A 238 million
- WBTC 219 million
- ETH-C 167 million
- PAX 67 million
- LINK 33 million
- ETH-B 32 million
- TUSD 26 million
- UniV2DaiEth 20 million
- YFI 11 million
- UniV2DaiUSDC 9.7 million
- UniV2WBTCEth 7.8 million
- UniV2UniEth 6.9 million
- NSDROP 5 Million
- UniV2UsdcEth 4.4 million
- UNI 2.7 million
- renBTC 2.6 million
- BAT 1.7 million
- MANA 1.4 million
- ZRX 1.4 million
- AAVE 1.2 million
- LRC 871K
- Other vaults below 500K (BAL, GUSD, KNC<>USDT, UniV2LINKETH UniV2AAVEETH, UniV2WbtcDai, UniV2DaiUsdt, UniV2EthUsdt, COMP) at 880K.
- ETH A collateralization
- ETH B collateralization
- ETH-C and ETH-A vault collateralization ratios seem to be inching towards a safer band since ETH’s price has been wobbling over the past week and through the weekend too. ETH B is still close to the minimum.
- A 15% drawdown looks the most painful for ETH and WBTC. But as @ElProgreso helped explore in lask week’s relay, significant rebalancing comes through these smaller price drops over time. It’s the initial market shocks that drop the hardest.
- WBTC weighted collateralization heading closer to 220% with median debt around 30K.
- 4 liquidations with 107 DAI debt settled.
- Dai on Different Chains #2 - July 16, 2021: Dai usage on Polygon has risen from around 418 million DAI to over 567 million, peaking at 652.9 million DAI. The majority is held in two pools:
- Overview of bridged Dai via @SebVentures
- How to Stake DAI
- What is the DAI Stablecoin?
Stablecoins facilitated an astonishing $1.7T in transaction volume in Q2: Messari
- Explores the growth of stablecoins and notes that decentralized stablecoins like Dai have maintained a consistent upward trajectory.
- Stablecoins Swelled by $13B in 30 Days, Captured 67% of Today’s Crypto Trade Volume
Strategic and Not Naïve
- @Doo_Nam continues the discussion on the proposed MKR compensation for CUs.
Dai on Different Chains #2 - July 16, 2021
- Explores the wallets holding Dai on non-EVM chains.
Dai liquidity in other networks
- Discussion on providing direct liquidity to non-ETH chains through the direct minting of DAI off-chain.
Question about future products
- Discussion centered around future product ideas, like the staking of ETH 2.0 directly through a Maker UI.
- [Discussion] “Taming Wildcat Stablecoins” Paper – MakerDAO vs Centralized Stablecoins
- Join Link | GovAlpha - Mondays 17:00 UTC
- Join Link | Protocol Engineering - Tuesdays 15:00 UTC
- Join Link | Content Production - Wednesdays 16:00 UTC
- Join Link | Growth - Wednesdays 17:00 UTC
- Join Link | Sustainable Ecosystem Scaling - Tuesdays 15:30 UTC
Subscribe for all public calls, votes, and other reminders.
Library of useful links for Stakeholders; Protocol analytics, Dai analytics, collateral & liquidation metrics, governance history, and auctions data.
Voting dashboard for MKR voters.
MIPs Dashboard for everyone.
We value your input! Take our survey to know what we might be missing or how we can do better.
Disclaimer: This update is assembled by a group of contributing members in the MakerDAO community. This does not serve as financial advice or an inducement to vote in any specific way. This update is purely for information and communication purposes only.