Organization

• Name: Gitcoin
  • Github: https://github.com/gitcoinco/web
  • Number of Employees: 16
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Incorporated: A subsidiary of Consensys AG, based in Switzerland
  • Domiciled: Switzerland
  • Number of employees: 16
  • When was the organization founded? Gitcoin was founded in May 2017, and folded into the Consensys Mesh in November 2017.
  • Who are the major investors in your organization? Consensys AG
  • How much funding has the organization raised either privately or through a token sale? About $3mm from Consensys AG
  • Please provide public references for the above where possible:

Introduction

Gitcoin’s mission is to grow open source and help devs find new economic opportunities.

There are many ways to do this, and gitcoin offers a few different products to enable this:

• Virtual hackathons: Online & worldwide. Sponsors post prizes, and people compete to earn them by building stuff to the specifications.
  • Grants: A better way to fund innovation in your ecosystem. Grantees can create a fundraising page for “the great work they’re already doing” in the space, then raise $$$ for that work.
  • Ethical ads via CodeFund: An advertising network that respects your privacy. Codefund allows you to monetize your audience without selling them out.

Community

• What has your organization contributed to the crypto community?

We have delivered almost $5mm worth of funding to OSS devs in the Ethereum community. https://gitcoin.co/results

• Successful products, services, tools, libraries, thought-leadership

I’ve also given talks at ETHDenver, ETHBerlin, Devcon, etc. https://owocki.com/public-speaking/
  • How will the Maker Community benefit from your inclusion as a Light Feed?

We will be faithful & responsible stewards of the data passed into the MKR Oracle system.

Note that DAI/SAI are some of the most used tokens on the Gitcoin platform! We have a rational economic incentive to keep the price data clean & good! https://gitcoin.co/leaderboard/tokens?cadence=quarterly&keyword=all&product=all

Changelog

• Reformatted preamble
5 Likes

Do you need a Manager in Switzerland I’ll go there anytime!

I tough you were in boulder Colorado, are you going to expand ?

I am physically in Colorado, but the legal entity is Swiss :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, understand! I like the area, i really need to try Germany highway autobahn

MIP10c15: Subproposal to Appoint Feed (OT)

Preamble

MIP10c15-SP#: 4
Author(s): Nik Kunkel
Contributors:
Date Proposed: 2020-06-14
Date Ratified: <yyyy-mm-dd>

Disclaimer

MIP10 is meant to handle all of the Oracle related actions. Unfortunately MIP10 has inconsistencies and doesn’t conform to the monthly governance cadence that the Maker Improvement Proposal framework is built around. This has generated a backlog of Oracle proposals. While MIP10 is refactored to conform to the regular MIP process, Oracle proposals such as this one will utilize the more liberal weekly governance cycle. While strictly speaking this makes them not subproposals, they are included in the subproposal archive as a point of provenance to serve as a paper trail.

Specification

Introduction

If ratified, this subproposal would appoint Gitcoin as a Light Feed. Feeds submit data to the Oracles for the prices of assets. They are an important part of ensuring that the Oracles are reliable and secure. Only entities with strong credentials that the community trusts should be permitted to be an Oracle Feed.

Organization

• Name: Gitcoin
  • Github: https://github.com/gitcoinco/web
  • Number of Employees: 16
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Incorporated: A subsidiary of Consensys AG, based in Switzerland
  • Domiciled: Switzerland
  • When was the organization founded? Gitcoin was founded in May 2017, and folded into the Consensys Mesh in November 2017.
  • Who are the major investors in your organization? Consensys AG
  • How much funding has the organization raised either privately or through a token sale? About $3mm from Consensys AG
  • Please provide public references for the above where possible:

Light Feeds

• Does the organization have a strong reputation in the crypto community?

Yes. Gitcoin dates back to 2017 and has had a strong presensce within the ecosystem for fostering collaberation and innovation. Most notably it has created a coordination platform for sustainable funding for open source initiatives. This is critical for the Ethereum community which is based on the principles of open source and distributed work between remote entities.

• What contributions has this organization made to the crypto ecosystem?

Most notably it has created a coordination platform for sustainable funding for open source initiatives. This is critical for the Ethereum community which is based on the principles of open source and distributed work between remote entities. Gitcoin Grants provide a unique combination of benefits including:
empowering developers to monetize their open source contributions
enabling projects to incentivize developers to learn and hack on their platform
allowing employers to vet potential candidates through real deliverables
creating a method for crowdsourcing features and applications desired by a community

• Would including the organization as a Light Feed instill a sense of trust in the Oracles?

It is the opinion of the Oracle Team that Gitcoin has a trustworthy reputation in the community and would further reinforce the reputation of the Maker Oracles.

• Are there any public accusations of misconduct? How severe and numerous are they? Have they been confirmed?

The Oracle Team was not able to find any record of confirmed cases of misconduct on account of the organization nor its executive staff.

Verification

• Were sufficient public-facing resources provided or found that confirm the information in the application?

Yes, public records were able to verify most of the provided information.

• Was the applicant honest with respect to:

• the investors

The Oracle Team was able to verify the acquisition by Consensys in November of 2017 through press releases issued by Consensys.

• how much funding was raised

The Oracle Team was not able to find any public figures relating to the amount of funding raised that would confirm or deny the $3M figure quoted by the applicant.

• the number of employees

The Oracle Team was able to verify the majority of employees through their LinkedIn profiles which were conveniently linked to in the Gitcoin About Us page. A small number did not cite Gitcoin nor Consensys as their employer on LinkedIn but had other publically logged connections to Gitcoin that would indicate involvement.

• the location of incorporation & domicile

The Oracle Team was able to verify that Consensys AG is registered and domiciled in Zug, Switzerland at address Gartenstrasse 6, 6300 Zug via Zefix.

• Given the applicant’s major investors, is there a risk adding this Light Feed would give a single investor too much influence over the Oracle protocol?

Not at the moment, though this is something the community needs to monitor moving forward as Token Sets (formerly Set Protocol), Infura, and Gitcoin are all owned at least in part by Consensys.

• Given the incorporation and domicile location of the organization, is there a risk adding this Light Feed would give a single jurisdiction too much influence over the Oracle protocol?

Not currently, but similar to the above. Since Consensys is domiciled in Switzerland the exposure to Swiss regulators increases the more Consensys-subsidiary Feeds get added.

Identity

• Did the Oracle Team get in contact with the organization to confirm their application?

Yes, the Oracle Team spoke to the founder of Gitcoin over video conference who is listed on Gitcoin’s website.

Cost-Benefit

• Given the ratio of Dark Feeds : Light Feeds, does the Maker Protocol benefit from adding another Dark/Light Feed at this time?

Yes.

• Given the extra cost of appointing a new Feed, does the benefit of the marginal security / marginal trust in the protocol exceed the cost?

Yes.

Oracle Team Recommendation

The Oracle Team recommends that Maker Governance ratify the proposal to appoint Gitcoin as a Light Feed for the Maker Oracles. Gitcoin is an established member of the Ethereum tribe on a mission to create sustainable funding for open source. Dai is an integral part of the Gitcoin platform. Since its inception grants totalling $2,214,536 Sai/Dai have been awarded accounting for over 70% of all awarded grants. There is a clear alignement of incentives between Gitcoin providing trusted pricing data to the MakerDAO Oracles and Gitcoin’s dominating use of Dai on its platform. The Oracle Team was able to verify most of the information provided by Kevin in the MIP10c14 Light Feed application. No confirmed cases of misconduct related to the organization were found.

Changelog

• reformatted preamble
2 Likes

Governance Poll is live.

https://vote.makerdao.com/polling-proposal/qmpstgclb4lnlptwuufhyyxsh1rdah4mayxdyctfxbpmhk

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m kind of embarrassed to admit I accidently destroyed my maker light feed cloud server and I didnt have a backup.

The specifics are not something I care this group cares about but I am happy to tell (I specced the server as a Ubuntu 1804 cloud server with only 8 GB of disk space, of which 7.5 GB was Ubuntu (or installed files like omnia/nix/ssb. I ran out of disk space. When I tried to triage the server, I accidently corrupted the boot file. Then I lost access to the server and the secrets it contained when I rebooted it and thereby had no open SSH connections).

The TLDR is I need need my Feed key swapped from 0xa4188b523eccecfbac49855eb52ea0b55c4d56dd 0x77eb6cf8d732fe4d92c427fcdd83142db3b742f7 ; I’ve got a new server running on the latter key.

Any questions let me know.

Apologies for the inconvenience & Thanks for understanding in advance
@owocki

2 Likes

I just signed this message:

{
“address”: “0x77eb6cf8d732fe4d92c427fcdd83142db3b742f7”,
“msg”: “I am kevin owocki and I verify I want to change my maker lightfeed address to this address.”,
“sig”: “0x6829f69a5a531f6b815016884823ffcb60c80e8cc0de34f3e2ddd7ae18f365f600d89e718f84fb526d24d3c93588a8ac4da073c7ac4475d258dbb9ddeb99062f1c”,
“version”: “2”
}

and posted it with this keypair 0x77eb6cf8d732fe4d92c427fcdd83142db3b742f7

Hi Kevin, no problem we can have them swapped in the Executive Vote that goes out this Friday. Be sure to backup your key in the future. Also thank you for providing the signed message, I think this is a practice going forward that we should adopt as part of Feed Onboarding to verify key ownership.

2 Likes

Thanks! I backed up my new key to my password manager. I wont make this key management mistake again :slight_smile:

1 Like