MIP39c2-SP#: 17 Author(s): @sorenpeter Contributors: @juanjuan Tags: dai-foundation, core-unit, daif-001, mandate Status: Formal Submission (FS) Date Applied: 2021-07-07 Date Ratified: <yyyy-mm-dd>
MIP39c2-SP17 adds Core Unit DAIF-001: Dai Foundation.
This proposal is for the DAIF Core Unit to be the vehicle that enables the practical implementation of the critical services that Dai Foundation provides to MakerDAO. The Core unit will request the necessary budget from MakerDAO Governance to sustain its operations and adequately mitigate the related legal risks to its essential role. The services of Dai Foundation are to provide safe haven and protect Maker IP including the DAI and MAKER trademarks (for example, what if somebody launches a DAI token on another chain?), set terms for use of Maker Assets that enables Maker Governance to appoint managers of those assets and to react to edge cases like for example a malicious fork according to principles that will be developed in close collaboration with the Maker community.
Planning for the best case scenario for MakerDAO requires establishing measures to protect Maker’s intangible assets and prepare to mitigate problems in worst case scenarios.
- What if somebody launches a coin on some other blockchain and calls it Dai?
- What if somebody uses the software developed for the Maker Protocol for purposes that go against the principles of MakerDAO?
- What if there is a governance attack and the attackers get control over the Maker and Dai trademarks?
The independent legal entity Dai Foundation has been created to safeguard what cannot be decentralized in Maker DAO, such as ownership of trademarks, domains, software copyrights, etc., which is connected to a real-world centralized governance body.
Dai Foundation cannot seek profits and is only mandated to serve its specific purpose: to safeguard the Maker Assets. The Dai Foundation will make these assets available for use by the community to support the sustainability and growth of the Maker Protocol with as few barriers as possible.
The Dai Foundation Core Unit is proposed to be the vehicle that enables the practical implementation of these critical goals.
DAI Foundation Core Unit
The Dai Foundation Core Unit is responsible for:
- Facilitating the dialogue between the Dai Foundation and the Community regarding intellectual property safeguarding, intellectual property usage, and related activities - this includes discussing with the community edge cases around various attacks on the protocol and its foundational principles, and formulation of principles for how to approach various forks and other situations where Dai Foundation need to act. Such principles and approaches will be put forward for Maker Governance approval.
- Request the necessary budget from Maker DAO Governance to sustain its operations and adequately mitigate the related legal risks to its essential role
- Implementation of processes for safeguarding of new intellectual property that is added to the Protocol at Dai Foundation.
- Implementation of processes for making the intellectual property that Dai Foundation owns available for use by the broader Maker community for the good of the protocol with as few barriers as possible.
- Providing transparency around how the Dai Foundation operates and which assets the Dai Foundation owns.
- In collaboration with Maker Governance, create transparency around how the usage rights of the Maker Assets are allocated.
The Dai Foundation Core Unit will carry these responsibilities following the principles defined in its Trust Deed.
- The Dai Foundation Core Unit will create transparency into the activities of the Dai Foundation and engage in dialogue with the Community about how to safeguard Maker’s intellectual property while also making it available for use with as few barriers as possible.
- The Dai Foundation Core Unit proposes a process by which Maker Governance decides who utilizes any of the assets that the Dai Foundation holds, as long as the users assume responsibility for the use of those assets, and the Dai Foundation remains the legal owner of said assets.
- As part of the ratification of the Dai Foundation Core Unit, the Dai Foundation offers Maker Governance the appointment of two members to join the Dai Foundation board. This will enable insight into all activities and make sure the views of Maker Governance are appropriately taken into account.
- Creating a process together with Maker Governance for making intellectual property held by the Dai Foundation available for use by the Community - See the proposal for discussion here.
- Finding owners for the assets from the Maker Foundation that the Dai Foundation has accepted for temporary care-taking.
- Creating a process with Maker Governance for giving copyright/intellectual property ownership to the Dai Foundation for assets added to the protocol (e.g. the copyright for the code contained in a new smart contract).
- Creating a process with Maker Governance for appointing community board members.
- Defining a backlog for missing processes (e.g. how a Contributor or a Core Unit can transfer an asset to the Dai Foundation)
The Core Unit’s Facilitator will be an official member of the Dai Foundation. Additional members from the Dai Foundation may participate in activities required to fulfill the Core Unit’s mandate and third parties that the Dai Foundation may subcontract.