MIP40c3-SP#: 28 Author(s): Author(s): Louis Baudoin (@louismerkle), Ohad Barta Contributors: Derek Flossman, Maciek Kaminsky, Kris Kaczor, Marc-Andre Dumas, Ohad Barta, Louis Baudoin Tags: core-unit, cu-sne-001, budget, dai-budget, active Status: Accepted Date Applied: 2021-08-09 Date Ratified: 2021-09-27
MIP40c3-SP28 adds the budget for StarkNet Engineering Core Unit.
I am proposing this budget for the StarkNet Engineering Core Unit to be able to succeed in its mandate, specifically; to build a bridge to StarkNet that is upgradeable through governance. This is referred to as phase I in the main proposal (MIP39c2-SP28).
StarkNet Engineering Core Unit
This budget for phase I secures a team of 2 Senior Engineers, one Data Scientist (part-time), and one Facilitator. The team size is expected to increase in phase II once the roadmap for enabling minting on StarkNet is clearer and syndicated with the community.
- Duration: 3 months
- Total amount for Maker foundation: $210,375
- Headcount: 4 (including one part-time)
The budget asked is $210,375 for three months, which represents 50% of the total budget. The distribution of the budget across profiles is shown below. The salaries used are taken from Maker internal salary grids and guidelines.
The payment of all the non-salary items will be done upon starting the project. The payment of the salaries will be done either bi-weekly or monthly. The budget will be split evenly between the Maker and Starkware.
Salaries: The has 2 full-time Senior Engineers with prior knowledge of Solidity, validity proofs, or both. 1 part-time Data Scientist, and 1 full-time Team Facilitator (for a total of 4 members).
Bug bounty: Bug Bounties allow us to support whitehat involvement in the work we do. Payout amounts will be assessed and determined by the team.
Gas cost: Rough estimate, based on gas cost needed by other Core Units, taking into account the scope of phase I.
Audit: We will work with one of the firms Maker has worked with before (Gauntlet, PwC, Certora, Quantstamp, Trail of Bits, Consensus, OpenZepplin and Peckshield).
No MKR vesting is proposed for phase I. A MKR vesting based on deliverables will be proposed for phase II.
Travel: Our team is remote, yet we are not excluding the option to meet in person if we assess it is needed.
SECU has a gnosis safe controlled by the Facilitator to pay 50% of the expenses. The other 50% will be paid by Starkware.
For any budget request beyond December 2021, new sub proposals will be submitted
- Due to the predictability and regularity of costs, this budget implementation is a “Simple Budget Implementation” under MIP40c4.
- Core Unit wallet address: 0x6D348f18c88D45243705D4fdEeB6538c6a9191F1
- Keyholder: @louismerkle - 0x83626A05588bbA91DAeDE52346E5282d123e0280
The first disbursement requested is DAI 210,275, which includes:
- DAI 75,000 on October 5th - one-off setup including gas cost, audit fee, and bug bounty. To be included in the executive vote on October 1st
- DAI 3*45,125 streaming - October 1th - December 31th - includes salaries and buffer
- Starkware will follow the same schedule as the schedule described above (full schedule table below)
- Starkware will pay the salaries in FIAT to the team via a service provider (Dill). The rest of the expenses will be paid on the same vault in USDC.
- Unused funds: Unused funds will be credited towards the next phase led by the SECU