MIP41c4-SP#: 14 Author(s): @monkey.irish Contributors: Tags: collateral-eng, collateral-onboard, collateral-offboard, core-unit, mip-set, ces-001, cob-001 Status: Request for Comments (RFC) Date Applied: 2021-05-12 Date Ratified: <yyyy-mm-dd>
MIP41c4-SP14 onboards @monkey.irish as Facilitator for the Collateral Engineering Services Core Unit.
For more information on the changes to this MIP, please see:
After spending three decades in the traditional software industry, I was burnt out and bored with all aspects of working for a large or small corporation, or even the thought of starting up another company in the same industry.
My options were to retire and drink margaritas on the beach or find something fulfilling and motivating to do for the next 20 years. I know some of you are saying, why didn’t you choose to drink margaritas?!? Then I bumped into crypto at a conference in 2017 and the rest is history.
I’ve been mesmerized with investing and finance from my very first stock option grant in 1988 and had countless personal financial projects over the years. As an example and before HFT, I analyzed real-time data feeds for equity options looking for patterns that would indicate a large price movement in a stock. I wholeheartedly believe in the evolution (or revolution) of the worldwide financial systems for the greater good of all concerned. I also believe the Maker ecosystem is one of the few with the ability to achieve the goals of financial inclusion and creating the world’s first unbiased currency.
While learning and implementing highly complex and technical systems is part of my background, the value I provide in this Facilitator role is of a builder. A builder of teams. A builder of processes. A builder of people working together to accomplish a shared objective. I believe the role of Facilitator is the most important role for a Core Unit. It requires strong leadership skills, a Jack of all trades (and a master of none) mentality, and impeccable facilitation and people skills.
Rarely, if ever, the key issue in solving a problem is the technology. Effectively getting work done in any organization requires an approach that optimizes the relationships between people, process & technology. In exactly that order!
In my opinion, the greatest work to be done is building the supply side of the equation. That is our mission and one of support and fulfillment for building the world’s unbiased currency.
Collateral Engineering Services Core Unit
My role is to support the Mandates and business continuity for the Collateral Engineering Services Core Unit (CES).
Today, this is best accomplished by taking the role of Facilitator, Team Lead, and Business Leader. My background and experience with the Maker Foundation makes me uniquely qualified to assume these roles. As the Core Unit establishes itself, I will look to transition the Facilitator role, or a portion of that responsibility, to a bonafide member of the MakerDAO community.
A partial list of responsibilities include:
- Be the Facilitator, Team Lead, and Business Leader for the CES Core Unit
- Serve as the main point of contact for the CES Core Unit
- Be the public voice of the CES on the Maker Forum, Discord, Telegram, Rocket Chat, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with the community, the Maker Foundation, and other Core Units and stakeholders
- Ensure the proper planning, use, and visibility of budgets to achieve our stated goals and objectives
- Ensure we make and meet our commitments and deliver value within every iteration
- Maintain visibility and transparency for all work identified, planned, and completed
- Attract, hire, and retain the best talent in the industry
- Build high performing teams capable of scaling collateral while normalizing the overhead costs
- Run the CES Core Unit as a business with Survivability, Sustainability, and Continuity as key goals
Experience at the Maker Foundation
The following is a partial list of Maker Foundation experiences that are supportive of this facilitation role.
- Facilitated and managed the following Maker Foundation activities:
- MCD Launch coordination
- Collateral Onboarding process
- Collateral Onboarding documentation
- Productization exercises
- Product and Engineering Framework
- Product Launch Coordination
- Agile Coaching for six geographically distributed engineering teams
- Quarterly planning and internal Demo Days
- Foundation dissolution activities
- Established working relationships at all levels within the Foundation
- Historical knowledge of Foundation activities meaning, knowing where the bodies are hidden so we don’t repeat the same mistakes
Experience prior to the Maker Foundation
- Entered the blockchain and cyptocurrency industry in 2017
- Experience with other DeFi projects before joining the Maker Foundation
- 30+ years of experience in sales, marketing, business development, and the last 20 years in product and engineering development and leadership
- Experience in all product and engineering roles, from hands on software development to running large, geographically distributed product and engineering teams
- Expert at hiring, building, and coaching/mentoring teams