MIP41c4-SP7: Facilitator Onboarding, Protocol Engineering Core Unit

Preamble

MIP41c4-SP#: 7
Author(s): Derek Flossman
Contributors:
Date Applied: 2021-03-02
Date Ratified:

Sentence Summary

MIP41c4-SP7 onboards Derek Flossman as Facilitator for the Protocol Engineering Core Unit.

Specification

Motivation

I am motivated to deliver and grow a safe, secure and scalable protocol with a team that I consider to be the engine room of the Maker protocol and leaders in the DeFi space. I want to continue working with an equally enthusiastic and talented community by building an ecosystem that has the power to bring positive change to the world.

I see the role of facilitating a technical team while also managing the expectations of the community and other domain teams as a great challenge and opportunity. Over my career, the roles that I have found the most pleasure in have always involved a multitude of stakeholders and expectations - making sense of what to work on, why and how to communicate it has always been fascinating. As a result, the technical exposure offered by this role along with the intangible social aspect of Governance offers a perfect blend for the skillset that I have.

Core Unit

Protocol Engineering Core Unit

Facilitator Name and Information

Name: Derek Flossman
Forum:@Derek
R/C: @derek.flossman
ETH Address: TBD

Facilitator Commitment

In addition to facilitating the Ways of Working, Team Rituals and the Core Unit Mandates as outlined in the Protocol Engineering Core Unit MIP, the following describes my commitment and actions as the Protocol Engineering Core Unit Facilitator, to;

• Serve as a point of contact between the Protocol Engineering Core Unit, the Governance community and other facilitators to ensure a cohesive understanding of team deliverables and progress.

• Represent the team in weekly community calls
    • Work with the community and act as a triage point to collate new community requests and share awareness with the team
    • Continue to be active on the Maker Forum and Rocket Chat as an easily reachable point of contact
  • Remove the administrative workload for the Protocol Engineering Core Unit to enable them to focus on the tasks they have committed to deliver.

• Facilitate goal planning sessions, external team integrations & meetings, help with technical smart contract/module/documentation tasks
    • Communicate expectations for all ongoing tasks in/outside of the team
    • Maintain the team budget, accounting and overhead management
  • Maintain planning documentation detailing accomplishments, current work, planned work and upcoming targets to ensure line of sight, clarity, transparency and broad project awareness.

• Document quarterly objectives and key results to help steer planning and prioritization
    • Maintain an active team backlog of tasks detailing team progress
    • Maintain a community facing backlog representing workstreams
  • Scale the team to deliver on the mandated objectives in alignment with the budget proposal.

• Build specializations within the team to facilitate targetted focus and increase deliverables
    • Work with the team to streamline the interview and onboarding process

Facilitator Credentials

Experience at Maker

• Worked side-by-side with the Smart Contract Team since July 2019
  • Coordinated DsChief migration
  • Coordinated Sai to Dai migration
  • Contributed to Instant Access Modules designs
  • Contributed to DssGov as well as considerations for Delegation and Incentivization
  • Product managed the Governance & Migration portals

Experience prior to Maker

• Big data & information retrieval at scale
  • Platform design and architecture
  • Founder and Co-Founder; Banking and Tech
  • Governance, Risk and Compliance
  • Banking & Capital Markets Product Management

Related Documents

MIP39c2-SP7 Protocol Engineering Core Unit MIP

MIP40c2-SP7 Protocol Engineering Core Unit Budget Proposal

18 Likes