As many of you are aware, I’ve been pretty active in the community over the last few months. With the aim of responsible disclosure, this post is to make you aware that I am now (and have been for the last two weeks) receiving a small stipend from the Maker Foundation grants program under the auspices of Rich.
The aim behind this is to allow me to continue the level of contribution that I have been making up to this point without it negatively impacting other aspects of my life.
Here are a couple of points that people may be curious about or interested in:
- The stipend is for 7.5 hrs/week, it is in the same ballpark as the hourly rate that other participants of the grants program receive for their work.
- Rich brought up the subject, as he felt that my contributions were consistent and valuable and he wanted to maintain that.
- It pushes me to attend and participate in the governance calls, something I wouldn’t do otherwise.
- Rich and I are in agreement that part of what makes my contributions valuable is independence from the Foundation. Hopefully you’ll agree that I haven’t held back on this front in the past. This will not change in the future (but please call me out if you think I am awarding the Foundation too much credit).
- My responsibilities are intentionally vague, leaving me free to contribute in the way I feel is most useful and most suited to my interests. To speak to this a little though, my priorities are:
- Increasing governance engagement.
- Bringing to light potential issues that I feel are being ignored.
- Working on governance efficiency and integrity.
Questions or comments are welcome.