In this week’s governance call we began a discussion about the idea of Foundation proposals requiring a signal thread in the forums before heading on-chain.
Mariano brought up the proposal of including an SCD GSM solution into next week’s polling while Derek proposed changing executives to include a 1 month expiration starting with this weeks executive.
Both of these proposals were implied to not require a signal/proposal thread before being acted upon.
This begs the question; should Foundation proposals require signal threads before creating on-chain polling? So far we do not have precedent for changes made to the system proposed by Foundation members.
Currently, in order for community members to enact a change to the system they must: Create a signal/discussion thread on their topic. Determine consensus. Draft a proposal and have Rich post it on a Polling Monday. Have that pass and be included in Friday’s executive.
Should we skip signal threads for urgent changes only? Should every change to the system require a signal thread regardless of who is proposing it or what it is? Hopefully we can have some discussion on the merits of any of these questions/ideas and I will also include a poll with some of these options below.
What should the precedent be for on-chain poll proposals?
- Foundation members are not required to post a signal request/forum thread before posting on-chain
- Foundation members must post a forum thread explaining the proposal (not a signal thread/vote) before posting on-chain.
- Foundation members must always follow the same precedent as community members
- Foundation members may only post on-chain first if deemed urgent
- Foundation members may only post on-chain first when the changes are of a specific nature (technical, risk, etc.). Another poll may be required to determine parameters.
- Disagree with options provided
This is by no means the final poll on this matter. Unless there is clear consensus here, leading to an on-chain ratification of precedent (if required), we can continue these discussions. Let me know if I missed an option. The idea here is to create a clear precedent so we don’t have to question our procedure when a new change comes up every week. I also understand that there may still be edge cases but hopefully this will bring some clarity to our decision making process.