Summary of the situation:
The Maker community continues to search for quality collateral assets which can be added to stimulate DAI supply, ease pressure on the DAI peg, and generate liquidity and revenue for the protocol. Some of the new collateral types added since Black Thursday have been successful at this (e.g. USDC-A, WBTC-A which have 40mm and 46mm DAI outstanding against them, respectively), while others were underwhelming (e.g. KNC, ZRX, and MANA which collectively issue just over 500k DAI).
As discussed on today’s governance call, even though a number of collateral types have already been greenlit by the community in governance polls, the domain teams have limited resources and a choice of prioritisation must be made about which collateral types to onboard first. To date, the domain teams have focused on liquid cryptoasset collateral types, since those are the most straightforward to onboard and at this stage the process for onboarding them has been well practiced. However, by aiming only for the “lowest hanging fruit”, we risk getting stuck working through an ever-growing list of ERC20 tokens, which while relatively easy to onboard, might not lead to substantial breakthroughs in scaling DAI supply.
For a long time it has been broadly accepted in the Maker community that Real World Asset collateral is crucial to the long-term scaling of DAI, and that the ability to issue large amounts of DAI against Real World Asset collateral would address some of the main problems faced by MakerDAO today, such as the inability to quickly scale the supply side to ensure DAI stability. See e.g. the past forum discussions: , , . There are currently a number of active MIPs, submitted recently, which propose to lay the foundations for adding novel Real World Asset collateral, which serve as starting point: , , , 
Prioritising Real World Asset collateral:
Perhaps it is the time to focus the community’s and the domain teams’ attention towards onboarding Real World Asset collateral. Assessment of Real World Asset collateral would likely require the full focus of the domain teams and would divert resources away from onboarding other collateral types, which is a trade-off that needs to be considered.
The community may need to step up to assist the domain teams with the onboarding, due to the complexity involved and the limited resources of the nascent domain teams.
Should MakerDAO domain teams prioritise the onboarding of Real World Asset collateral in the short term?
- MakerDAO domain teams SHOULD prioritise the onboarding of Real World Asset collateral in the short term.
- MakerDAO domain teams SHOULD NOT prioritise the onboarding of Real World Asset collateral in the short term.
The poll will run for 1 week from the time that it is posted, i.e. the poll will end on 2020-09-17T18:00:00Z. If the outcome is that RWA collateral SHOULD be prioritised, the question will go to an on-chain governance poll. (note that the poll was initially scheduled to run for 2 weeks but was reduced to 1 week on 2020-09-11T11:20:00Z).
 - Economics behind Real World Assets ("RWA") - Part 1
 - Initial Thoughts and Questions for Including Real World Assets in the Maker Protocol
 - Adding Real World Assets (“RWA”) as DAI collateral is a critical step for Maker to stabilize the peg... and in doing so, we change the world
 - MIP21: Real World Assets - Off-Chain Asset Backed Lender
 - MIP13c3-SP4 Declaration of Intent & Commercial Points - Off-Chain Asset Backed Lender to onboard Real World Assets as Collateral for a DAI loan
 - MIP13c3-SP5: Declaration of Intent: Maker to commence onboarding work of Centrifuge based Collateral
 - MIP22: Centrifuge Direct Liquidation Module