SourceCred distribution for week ending May 30th, 2021

The weekly SourceCred payouts are here! A hosted instance of SourceCred running on the Maker forum can be found here.

For details on opting in, see Opting in to Sourcecred/Wth is SourceCred?.

Announcements

:warning: WARNING: :warning: Cred scores and payouts may see volatility in the coming weeks and months as we tweak the algorithm and payout parameters. We still have a lot of work to do before the system is optimized enough to “ossify”, producing predictable payouts.

Payouts

This week $5,000 worth of DAI was distributed to 99 contributors. Navigate to the DAI Accounts tab of the Maker instance to see your current DAI balance and total DAI earned.

Cred Stats

Below is a chart showing total Cred created (a proxy for work).

Top Contributions

Below are the top 10 posts created last week, ranked by Cred generated.

cred: 126.6

Top Contributors

Below are the top 10 contributors last week, ranked by Cred generated.

Cred Contributor
264.7 PaperImperium
232.8 Primoz
229.8 LongForWisdom
211 SebVentures
196.3 Aaron-Bartsch
159.3 prose11
140 g-dip
124.1 ElProgreso
122.9 AstronautThis
105.4 ultraschuppi

If you have any questions or concerns about the scores, data or presentation thereof, please don’t hesitate to ask!

7 Likes

One question, on the sourcecred page, it says that the last distribution was on 1/6/2021. But here you say in the title that it was until May 30, so which date is correct?

1 Like

The terminology is admittedly a bit confusing. SoureCred by default distributes payouts weekly, every Sunday. Because the payouts are monthly, mainly due to gas and admin costs, the ‘current balance’ distributed on-chain only includes up till the last Sunday. In this case up till the 30th. So contributions made on the 31st will technically be paid on-chain next month (July 1st).

5 Likes

Does there have to be a formal governance process to raise the minimum amount for on-chain payment?

I feel $10 is way too low - why not only distribute cred when a user’s balance hits a higher number to save on gas?

6 Likes

Not a bad idea. I don’t think people would complain about a higher minimum for on-chain payouts.

Formal governance of the SourceCred parameters is still evolving. Up till now, minor policy decisions are typically made by the SourceCred working group, then announced here in the weekly update. For larger changes, e.g. a change to the payout formula, we have historically proposed the change first on the forum, then implemented it if there’s no significant objection.

Curious if anyone else has strong opinions on raising the payout minimum?

5 Likes

I propose 100 DAI as the minimum amount. This is my personal lower limit on any transactions I make on the blockchain - but that is of course just me!

2 Likes

I don’t think that really matter, it should be managed by the CU. This is micro management. Don’t need to involve a governance vote for that.

The end result will be voted by governance, it will be cut the budget or not.

5 Likes

I agree on raising it a bit. Looks like txs are batched so fees aren’t that astronomical; 86 people have been paid by this transaction (~0.81$/each in fees).

3 Likes

If we keep it that way, it’s not bad, but gas is super volatile, I think that 100 DAI is not an unreasonable amount and even very regular for a moderately active user in the forum.

2 Likes

Man, that’s dirt cheap. Who said Ethereum is only for rich people!?! :slight_smile:

And it can only get better. Good observation Ianaz.

2 Likes

waiting for Ethereum 2.0 to become even more super-cheap

1 Like

We might be waiting a while–the Bitcoin Miami conference has the ETH & BTC price movement looking sharp. When ETH-Caracas? Or, ETH-Maracaibo?

1 Like

Ya existe un ETH Caracas, lo llevan unos queridos amigos Telegram: Contact @EthereumCaracas

1 Like

Thank you for that clarification Ben

I recommend this community, there are very good members of different projects. :sunglasses:

I think this is likely a bit high for some people. I think something like 20 DAI would be better. For people with lower means, but also (more importantly) new contributors. It takes considerable effort to get enough likes to reach 10 DAI, and getting that first on-chain payout for your work can help engagement/recruitment. Some estimates below :point_down:

Open to pushback/other suggestions.

This month the gas was very low. But it’s been much higher in recent months. Last month was more typical (payouts tx), costing $196, or $2.23 per contributor. If we apply a 20 DAI minimum, gas fees would be $139.5, saving $56.5.

Much appreciate this sentiment. In this case, it doesn’t feel like micromanagement, because the change is trivial to implement, and the end goal is the community managing the instance. But the community weighing in on every decision isn’t sustainable. Still figuring out that balance as we go.

2 Likes

@s_ben is either too tired or too nice to bring it up, but I’ll do it politely instead: it’s actually Seth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have almost capitulated and renamed myself Ben :sweat_smile: But still fighting for Seth

3 Likes

I got carried away by the username :sweat_smile: thx

Sorry men but if you look like Ben :joy: (im just kidding)