I am also not a marketing guy. So I don’t know what I am talking about.
But as others said, I think a marketing campaign needs to follow a certain predetermined strategy.
Considering that now:
- the Vault limit is 5000 dai.
- Opening a Vault costs ~100usd in Ethereum fees,
- every DAI transaction costs >10 usd in Ethereum fees
I think it’s pointless to advertise DAI as just a “digital usd” for buying hot-dogs.
People would just laugh at you, and call it a scam!, if they hear that to buy a hotdog with crypto-usd, you need to pay 10usd of Ethereum fees.
I agree with @Aaron_Bartsch (can’t find his post anymore) that the target today (and probably for the next year or more, until Ethereum scales) is:
- young male (EU+USA, maybe also Asia not sure): 25-45 years hold,
- wishing to invest some of his money with profits
- generally open to the “fuck the banks/occupy wall-street/FIRE” movements,
- generally open towards innovation.
Essentially speaking, the millenials.
To these we should advertise/teach/illustrate the following 3 key facts:
- you can hold your Bitcoin/Ethereum and at the same time ‘borrow’ usd vs them (avoid tax events) → Vaults
- you can stay in the blockchain (leave banks to some extent) with a stable decentralised asset (DAI)
- you can make good money using DeFi platforms (Aave, Compound, yEarn, etc).
I think an effective campaign would involve:
- A good influencer
- A good medium of diffusion (youtube, FB groups, etc)
- Some prizes.
For example helping some users setting up his first Aave (*) 1k DAI deposit and earning some good 8% APY.
(*) it would be awesome to use the DSR instead of Aave. But it’s currently only 0.01% APY and our GUI is not as nice as those of our competitors imho.
EDIT: the target audience described above, typically already uses or know stuff like RobinHood, etc. We should basically show to them how DeFi competes with RobinHood (i.e., by being decentralised) and how DAI is the decentralised USD of Defi.
EDIT 2/Proposal: Why don’t we coordinate with Aave (or actually, Uniswap+Aave+other big DeFi) to make some advertisement campagin all together?